[Nepomuk] Semantic File Server

Adrien Bustany madcat at mymadcat.com
Mon Jun 28 08:26:11 CEST 2010

Le Sun, 27 Jun 2010 20:43:08 -0300,
Gustavo Sales <gustavo at paulofreire.org> a écrit :

> I am looking for a solution to index files at my work's file server.
> I would like to do it using nepomuk as a remote server and strigi in
> the desktops. Any ideas? I am keen to devote time to learn and to
> help coding.
>
> []'s
>
> Gustavo

Hello Gustavo

I think strigi (as a file indexer) would rather run on the server than
on the desktop. What you would need is some sort of communication bus
between your fileserver and your desktop client, I know there were some
efforts to make DBus over TCP possible, but I don't really know if it's
in a usable state. If you can get to a point where you can query your
server's DBus over TCP, then you can use the DBus API of Soprano (I'm
not totally sure how existing frontends could be configured to use it).
You would have to run the nepomuk server process on your server, which
probably implies having to run kded too (Sebastian can confirm on
that). Another alternative would be using Tracker
(http://projects.gnome.org/tracker), which only requires DBus to work
(yes, I'm being the devil's advocate on nepomuk at kde :) ). But you would
still have the same work to remotely query it (setting up DBus/TCP etc.)

Cheers

Adrien