[Nepomuk] Plasma Media Center - semantic desktop advices

Vishesh Handa handa.vish at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 19:33:47 CEST 2010

Hey Alesssandro

Creating such a backend shouldn't be too difficult. The database doesn't
need to be created, you could just use Nepomuk's database. Currently,
Nepomuk uses Soprano for storing RDF data, which in turn uses Virtuoso.
There are 2 things you will need to do -
1. Make sure all the data which you want accessible via PMC is indexed. You
can use Nepomuk's KCM to do that, or you can directly edit the
nepomukstrigirc file.
2. Construct Sparql queries to segregate data based on its type. (Music,
Video, Pictures, etc)

The Nepomuk File Ontology is exactly what you're looking for. It has classes
like nfo:Audo, nfo:Image, nfo:Video, or if you want to go for a more generic
option - nfo:Media. Example -
"select ?url where { ?r nie:url ?url. ?r a nfo:Audio. } LIMIT 10"
This should give you 10 Audio Files.

I think Nepomuk is perfect for what you want to do, cause it already
segregates the data, and you won't need your own database. Additionally, you
could even search by Artist, Actor, Director, and other properties. Plus, if
those properties aren't present in the File, the Web Metadata extractor
should get those values ( GSoC project 2010 )

Another thing that could be done is that you could display information about
different Artists, Actors, Movie Directors, Imdb ratings, etc and you will
have to do next to nothing to get that info. Nepomuk should handle all the
messy work. You just need to perform the queries. ( Wait for KDE 4.6 for
this to get implemented )

*Far fetched Idea :* If I manage to implement Metadata sharing properly, you
could theoretically search through other machine's Nepomuk database. So, I
guess that would add a social feature to the PMC.

- Vishesh Handa