[Nepomuk] Plasma Media Center - semantic desktop advices

Alessandro Diaferia alediaferia at gmail.com
Sat Jun 5 20:57:29 CEST 2010

2010/6/5 Vishesh Handa <handa.vish at gmail.com>

> Hey Alesssandro
>
> Creating such a backend shouldn't be too difficult. The database doesn't
> need to be created, you could just use Nepomuk's database. Currently,
> Nepomuk uses Soprano for storing RDF data, which in turn uses Virtuoso.
> There are 2 things you will need to do -
> 1. Make sure all the data which you want accessible via PMC is indexed. You
> can use Nepomuk's KCM to do that, or you can directly edit the
> nepomukstrigirc file.

The user is supposed to give such information. Is there an API for adding
paths to the indexing or shall i just programmatically edit nepomukstrigirc?

> 2. Construct Sparql queries to segregate data based on its type. (Music,
> Video, Pictures, etc)
>
> The Nepomuk File Ontology is exactly what you're looking for. It has
> classes like nfo:Audo, nfo:Image, nfo:Video, or if you want to go for a more
> generic option - nfo:Media. Example -
> "select ?url where { ?r nie:url ?url. ?r a nfo:Audio. } LIMIT 10"
> This should give you 10 Audio Files.

Ok that's great. Fortunately I had to learn SPARQL for my bachelor's thesis
project so I'm rather comfortable with it; just need to have a look at those
ontologies :)

> I think Nepomuk is perfect for what you want to do, cause it already
> segregates the data, and you won't need your own database. Additionally, you
> could even search by Artist, Actor, Director, and other properties. Plus, if
> those properties aren't present in the File, the Web Metadata extractor
> should get those values ( GSoC project 2010 )

That's rather a nice project indeed then :)

> Another thing that could be done is that you could display information
> about different Artists, Actors, Movie Directors, Imdb ratings, etc and you
> will have to do next to nothing to get that info. Nepomuk should handle all
> the messy work. You just need to perform the queries. ( Wait for KDE 4.6 for
> this to get implemented )

 That's our real purpose of course :)

> *Far fetched Idea :* If I manage to implement Metadata sharing properly,
> you could theoretically search through other machine's Nepomuk database. So,
> I guess that would add a social feature to the PMC.

That would really be amazing :)

> - Vishesh Handa
>
> On Sat, Jun 5, 2010 at 3:32 PM, Alessandro Diaferia <alediaferia at gmail.com
> > wrote:
>
>> Hello list,
>> you probably have heard about Plasma Media Center (PMC).
>>
>> I would need some advice from regarding media type files handling.
>> Little briefing: PMC allows different browsing backends to be inserted in
>> order
>> to allow different kind of file browsing, This leads to giving the chance
>> to the user to both
>> browse among his local files or among e.g. videos from youtube, pictures
>> from picasa and so on...
>>
>> Regarding the local file browsing we need to do something like:
>> the user selects the folder PMC should search for media files, a database
>> is created with such files
>> and later the application will always show such files categorized and what
>> not. In addition to this
>> we'd like to separate pictures, videos and audio files. Later one backend
>> for each type (music, picture and video)
>> will make use of such databases in order to allow the user browse through
>> them.
>>
>> Now your help: what's the best way for doing this from the Nepomuk point
>> of view?
>> I hope my explanation was clear enough. Of course just ask for any
>> clarification.
>>
>> Thanks in advance for your help.
>> Regards
>> --
>> Alessandro Diaferia
>> KDE Developer
>> KDE e.V. member

Thank you very much for your clear explanation on what it has to be done!

Cheers
--
Alessandro Diaferia
KDE Developer