KDE neon installation/liveCD - X not starting

d.steinberger at gmx.de d.steinberger at gmx.de
Sat Dec 16 18:40:26 UTC 2017

Am Samstag, 16. Dezember 2017, 12:49:17 CET schrieb Nicolas Kovacs:
> Hi,
>
> I'm currently trying to install KDE neon on a couple of battered Dell
> Optiplex 330 PCs. The hardware is roughly ten years old, but I've
> successfully installed CentOS 7 64-bit + KDE 4.14 (graphic effects
> enabled) as well as various other distributions on it, as well as
> (plain) Ubuntu 16.04. Unfortunately, I'm having some trouble with KDE neon.
>
> Installation DVD boots OK, startup is also OK, but unfortunately X fails
> to start. All I get is a flickering console login prompt.
>
> Here's the hardware:
>
>   # lspci | grep -i vga
>   00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 82G33/G31
>   Express Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 0a)
>
> Any suggestions?
>
> Niki Kovacs

You're in the live environment, right?

first check if sddm starts:

systemctl status sddm

should be:

Loaded: loaded (/lib/systemd/system/sddm.service; enabled; vendor preset: enabled)
Active: *active (running)* since ...

...this output also gives you more infos about problems...

systemctl restart sddm <-- restarts sddm

otherwise:

Maybe the intel-graphics drivers are not installed or not correctly. Had often such a
problem with nvidia cards... X freezing...

"apt search xserver intel" shows  you the driver packages

apt install xserver-xorg-video-intel

might be "reinstall" if already present

after that also:

systemctl sddm restart