BogDan bog_dan_ro at yahoo.com
Wed Mar 14 08:40:38 UTC 2012

Hi Willy,

> From my point of view, the most important stuff is a seamless integration of Qt
> and Android. Having an integrated development environment is nice (and quite
> necessary indeed!) but i don't mind glitches in the IDE.

Having an integrated development environment is a MUST this days ! Before I release the IDE and the SDK Necessitas project had only a few users (less than 50), today it has 7000+ users !
So the IDE and the SDK is one of our top priorities !

> I care more about
> Android look&feel, application resuming properly from background running,
> assets and files access, proper location and multimedia interface, proper Java
> intercomunication and so on. This is the stuff which will determine the success
> of Necessitas, because people will use it or not if thay can easily port their
> already existing apps.

 * Android look&feel. I have good news on this topic, I managed to extract the needed informations form Android O.S. to draw a few controls (e.g. Button, RadioButton, CheckBox, LineEdit, etc.), soon I'll push the work into Ministro and android-qt repositories.

 * Application resuming properly from background it should be fixed by latest alpha release [1]
 * Assets and files access, AFAIK there is no major problems here.
 * Mobility (contacts, location,  multimedia, etc.) are not very polished, so if you want to look into it it will be great.

> I don't see anybody starting a new app for Android in Necessitas at the
> moment, just porting existing ones. This means, ideally all of Qt stuff and
> QtMobility stuff has to work, possibly better than on Symbian&MeeGo (for
> example, MeeGo dropped support for QWidget, as anybody trying to force portrait
> mode on that platform discovered).

There is no plan to drop the support for QWidget in Necessitas !

> I would be interested in working on some QtMobility stuff, like
> QtLocation&satellites, since my app that's what's needed. Just
> don't have time at the moment since i have a big major release coming up
> before summer.

  I'm planning to ship latest alpha release immediately after  look&feel and menus supports implementations are done, I hope mid April. The beta release, which can be safely used by anyone to deploy qt apps on Android Market, will come 2-4 weeks after this release, if no major issues will appear.

> While i do prefer to use necessitas under windows, because due to Symbian
> support it's my main platform, i don't really care too much and i could
> switch to Linux if needed. Again, since i think most of develoèpest will switch
> from Symbian Windows should be well taken care of. At the moment all my
> experiments on Necessitas have been with Windows, and i have been quite pleased.
> I don't care for the laest release of Qt Creator tough.

 I have no experience with Necessitas under windows, so I can't help you on this area !
I do all development under Linux.

Cheers,
BogDan.

[1] http://groups.google.com/group/android-qt/browse_thread/thread/350091b33f76a22b