[Marble-devel] Questions about internal Marble structure

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Wed May 30 12:37:29 UTC 2012

Hi Anton,

The code from Andrew Manson is really hopelessly outdated these days.
It was just an early (awesome) prototype for the usage of GeoGraphicsItems and
for parsing OSM. Since it was just meant to be a prototype all the unfinished
features became part of the plugin (that includes OSM Andrew's parsing as well
as the specialized GeoGraphicsItems he created).

These days if you want to add OSM parsing to your application you should use
the one that has become part of the library (which evolved from Andrew's
efforts and which was further developed by Konstantin).

Also if you create GeoGraphicsItems you should use them in the way described
inside the GeoDataPlacemark tutorial referenced earlier

That's also why its compilation of the osmannotate plugin is deactivated by
default.

When I pointed to these sources it was merely meant to show that it's possible
to do this kind of stuff. It can also serve as a source of inspiration how to
do certain stuff if you keep in mind that much of the implementation is
outdated these days.

It would be cool if we could add an extra Tutorial chapter that shows how
GeoDataPlacemark or GeoDataPolygons can be added via mouseevents.

We should maybe also add a big DEPRECATED file / warning to the whole
directory.

Again this doesn't mean to make Andrew's work look bad - rather the opposite:
Andrew's work back in 2009 contributed extensively to build the cornerstones
of today's Marble framework. Thanks Andrew! :-)

Best Regards,
Torsten