[Marble-devel] Changing OSM tile sources

Amit Chaudhuri amit.k.chaudhuri at gmail.com
Fri Aug 31 07:38:01 UTC 2012

Hi all,

I am considering deploying an application which uses marble widget for use
within a corporate setting.  User base might extend to (say) 50 users.  If
successful user base might grow to a few hundred.  I don't anticipate a
high level of concurrent access amongst the user base.

I'm considering using the OSM map style in some use cases and want to stay
the right side of tile usage policies.  Some questions come to mind:

1) Does the default Marble instance use the OSM tile servers? *[<from osm
wiki>...default "Mapnik" tiles rendered and served by {a,b,c}.
tile.openstreetmap.org* ]

2) Where in marble source code does the url for downloading such data
appear?

3) Are there any obvious hurdles to re-pointing MarbleWidget to use a free
OSM tile server (e.g. MapQuest)?

4) Can anyone point to an authoratitive guide on hosting your own internal
OSM server? [Switch2osm seems to be relevant but interested in any other
opinions]

5) Can anyone point to guidance on sizing a server to handle OSM tile
serving? [I gather the dataset is 300GB+ and vaguely recall suggestions of
12GB RAM..]

Thanks in advance for any pointers.

Regards,

Amit