[Marble-devel] Re: 1.1 Release Preparations

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Tue Apr 12 23:28:37 CEST 2011

Hi,

On Tuesday, 12. April 2011 21:01:14 Bernhard Beschow wrote:
> Hi everyone,
> I just had a look at the state of the map wizard in the marble-1.1 branch.
> Compared to the master branch, it is missing quiet important improvements
> such as intensive error checking and a simplified UI.

The Map Wizard feature has been advertized as the most important feature of
Marble 1.1. I've just presented it during the FOSSGIS conference as one of the
important milestones of Marble 1.1.

I see your point that Marble 1.2 has a better version of it which is much
closer to the perfect world solution. But this is natural: Marble 0.4 sucked
big times compared to Marble 0.8. And if I see Marble 0.8 these days installed
on a computer I immediately cringe and feel bad because Marble 1.0 is so much
better in many ways. I'd say: get over it :-) The 1.1 Map Wizard works quite
well and in the Marble 1.1 version it's certainly something that is rather
suited for the experienced user. And that is better than providing no wizard
at all. Like this we can still ship it and collect feedback to make the wizard
in Marble 1.2 even better than the one that we currently have in 1.1.

Don't worry: We won't ship it for long since Marble 1.2 will follow in 3-4
months (and I'm sure you'll feel bad about the state of the Map Wizard by the
time that Marble 2.0 gets released since that one will have an even so much
better solution ;-)

I'd even go so far to say that without the Map Wizard feature we can basically
forget about the whole Marble 1.1 release.

So I'd say: let's ship it. It works quite well, is documented and it's of
course just a start and a quite good one even :-)

Best Regards,
Torsten