[Marble-devel] Re: 1.1 Release Preparations

Bernhard Beschow bbeschow at cs.tu-berlin.de
Tue Apr 12 21:01:14 CEST 2011

Hi everyone,

[snip]

> Polishing
> =====
> Ensure that the new features work. Existing features shouldn't show
> regressions. Take care of confusing wording, missing tooltips, tr()
> calls etc. Make sure the KDE and the Qt version behave the same. In
> particular:
> - It should be (easily) possible to create a map theme using the map
> wizard. That theme should be uploadable. The uploaded (shared) map
> should be installable with Marble again. Someone should check that with
> two or more map themes.

I just had a look at the state of the map wizard in the marble-1.1 branch. Compared to the master branch, it is missing quiet important improvements such as intensive error checking and a simplified UI. IMO, these improvements are essential for users to get a working map theme. Unfortunately, due to significant API changes, backporting has not been done. Thus, I wonder whether we should deactivate the map wizard or advertize it as an unfinished feature for now. To be onest, I'd rather switch the map wizard off.

If we go for deactivating the map wizard feature for now, there is a simple solution for the KDE version: If we just comment out the action in the rc file, an advanced user could re-activate the map wizard by uncommenting the action. I wonder whether there exists a similar clever solution for the Qt version?

Greetings,
Bernhard