[Marble-devel] Bug with maps (all Windows) and questions

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Fri Jun 18 16:44:57 CEST 2010

On Friday 18 June 2010 11:57:29 Christophe Leske wrote:
> I tried the maps with restricted licenses provided here:
> http://www.gitorious.org/marble-restricted-maps

These maps are not officially supported by/associated with the Marble project.

(Unlike the maps on the KDE repository).

Some of them contain lots of misinformation (the google maps' legend tells that
the data was created by OpenStreetMap). Some of them most likely violate
Google's Terms of Use. And all of them don't contain a proper legend.

Some of them (Yahoo and Virtual Earth) can probably be used legally -- even
freely.

Technically they are interesting and cool since they show off Marble's
capabilities (and Bernhard's amazing work).
But I think they shouldn't be used or distributed in this way. There should at
least be a disclaimer and proper copyright notice somewhere for each :-(

I guess the WMS stuff is probably legally ok (same for Virtual Earth and Yahoo).
But again they really should contain a proper description (and not tell that
OpenStreetMap created this stuff).

Bernhard: I really like your contributions that you do to Marble. So please
don't take this personal or as criticism of your other great contributions.

But we have to  be really careful with licenses, attribution and copyright. Even
more so if wording is associated with Marble or if it affects other projects in
the spirit of Open Source / Free Software (like OSM).

We had been very very careful about licenses, QA and copyrights for all stuff
that went into the official Marble repository on the KDE server. And we should
have an interest that other repositories that don't share our policies make it
very clear that they are not part of the official Marble distribution.

> there is noone in charge (?) for the windows build, I could offer to
> help out on packaging and compiling the Windows side of Marble, if there
> is interest and need.

That would be extremely cool! :-)
Your help on this would be _very_ much appreciated :-)

Best Regards,
Torsten