[Marble-devel] Willing to take part in Marble development.

v_2e at ukr.net v_2e at ukr.net
Mon Jan 18 03:03:08 CET 2010

  Hello!

On Thu, 14 Jan 2010 02:09:37 +0100
Torsten Rahn <tackat at t-online.de> wrote:
> or you take the plunge and try to work on a Junior Job ("JJ"). Most of the JJs
> on the Marble webpage have been implemented already. So you better ask us before
> you start whether the JJ you are  interested in is already taken or whether we
> have new suggestions for new JJs :-) I'm pretty sure we'll easily be able to
> come up with something ;-)
>
> Once you've worked on a few JJs (I guess that will take a few days ...) you
> might be ready for the next step:  Looking at the plans that you have it might
> be convenient for you to have a look at the "Marble Online Plugins" that Bastian
> Holst has worked on so far (like Weather Plugin, Wikipedia Plugin, Photo Plugin
> ...). Working on additional plugins like these might give you some idea how to
> proceed further.
>
> Best Regards,
>
> Torsten

  Thank you for your reply and advices.
  I have already installed Marble from sources.
  I have also read some starting pages about how to help Marble. I
think, I'll try do some of the JuniorJobs, but I will look through the
source code a bit more at first.
  And now I have my own ideas about new functionality. I would like to
implement them, but it may be that somebody is working on them now. So,
here they are:
1. I have noticed that searching by coordinates is absent in Marble. I
think, it is a useful function - to go to some certain coordinates. And
Marble seems to search only by the name of a place nowadays.
2. I also think it would be very nice to have an opportunity to draw
some "routes" on the Earth surface or on a "flat map". For example,
some person has returned home from a trip and wants to mark the route
on a map (just to remember or to measure the total distance - whatever
the purpose may be). I don't know how exactly to implement such
function, but I understand the following:
- this "route line" must be a vector line (not raster);
- the user should have an opportunity to pick a colour for this line
(and maybe some other parameters);
- there also should be a possibility to set the "way points" on this
line (this line should actually connect the way points set in a proper
sequence) and give names to those points. For example, I want to set a
point on some little town, put a flag on a map in its place and write
"My grandparents" on that flag, after that I want to set another flag
over another town and write "Bob's rancho" on it, etc. and Marble
should connect the places I choose with a line I choose.

  It is also be very important to have an ability to save the routes
into a file. When one has a number of saved routes, he/she may want to
load them back into Marble and view them altogether (for this purpose
they should be of different colours, like I've mentioned above).

  I would like to know who and what thinks about such features and if
there are some people who is working on their implementation now.

  Thanks.
  Vladimir.

-----
 <v_2e at ukr.net>