[Marble-devel] Willing to take part in Marble development.

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Thu Jan 14 02:09:37 CET 2010

Hi,

Welcome to Marble!

On Wednesday 13 January 2010 21:20:49 v_2e at ukr.net wrote:
>   I would like to join the Marble development team. I am familiar with
> Qt (although not very much, but I'm still learning).

No problem. I think there are enough opportunities in terms of Marble
Development that might fit your experience and the things you'd like to work on.
The other nice thing about Marble is that its framework just has a single
dependency: Qt 4.5.
So apart from Marble itself and Qt there are no other things you need to learn
about.

>   Some days ago Fred wrote me that he had talked to somebody from
> Marble's team and had been told that Marble is going in the very same
> direction he wished it to. :)
>   After that we firmly resolved to join this team and to make
> everything we need by our own hands, but with your help. :)
>   So, I am ready to start now and asking for your advices, tips and
> hints for the beginner. I have some quite simple ideas about absent
> (yet) but useful features to Marble, which I would like to implement.

Great. So here's how to get involved: If you haven't done so yet you might want
to read

http://edu.kde.org/marble/getinvolved.php
(and/or http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble/GoMarble )

The natural next step would be to install Marble from sources:

http://edu.kde.org/marble/obtain.php

If you should run into any problems don't hesitate to ask (either on this list
or on IRC). If you find that there is information missing on the webpages or if
you think that the text can be improved don't hesitate to send us your
suggestions for improvements (ideally the actual changes you'd suggest) .

Now you could either gather more information by looking at

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble/

or you take the plunge and try to work on a Junior Job ("JJ"). Most of the JJs
on the Marble webpage have been implemented already. So you better ask us before
you start whether the JJ you are  interested in is already taken or whether we
have new suggestions for new JJs :-) I'm pretty sure we'll easily be able to
come up with something ;-)

Once you've worked on a few JJs (I guess that will take a few days ...) you
might be ready for the next step:  Looking at the plans that you have it might
be convenient for you to have a look at the "Marble Online Plugins" that Bastian
Holst has worked on so far (like Weather Plugin, Wikipedia Plugin, Photo Plugin
...). Working on additional plugins like these might give you some idea how to
proceed further.

Best Regards,

Torsten