[Marble-devel] Willing to take part in Marble development.

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Mon Jan 18 08:42:55 CET 2010

Hi Vladimir

On Monday 18 January 2010 03:03:08 v_2e at ukr.net wrote:
> 1. I have noticed that searching by coordinates is absent in Marble. I
> think, it is a useful function - to go to some certain coordinates. And
> Marble seems to search only by the name of a place nowadays.

Please enter e.g.

24°48'E 45°8'N

into the Search line and press enter ;-)
If you play around with other coordinate string formats you might
realize that the algorithm used still doesn't recognize all kinds of inputs (and has other issues).

See also:

http://www.kdedevelopers.org/node/3769

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble#Marble_Runner

So one possible junior job might be to fix the functionality behind.

> 2. I also think it would be very nice to have an opportunity to draw
> some "routes" on the Earth surface or on a "flat map". For example,
> some person has returned home from a trip and wants to mark the route
> on a map (just to remember or to measure the total distance - whatever
> the purpose may be). I don't know how exactly to implement such
> function, but I understand the following:
> - this "route line" must be a vector line (not raster);
> - the user should have an opportunity to pick a colour for this line
> (and maybe some other parameters);
> - there also should be a possibility to set the "way points" on this
> line (this line should actually connect the way points set in a proper
> sequence) and give names to those points. For example, I want to set a
> point on some little town, put a flag on a map in its place and write
> "My grandparents" on that flag, after that I want to set another flag
> over another town and write "Bob's rancho" on it, etc. and Marble
> should connect the places I choose with a line I choose.

Andrew Manson has been working on the "editing" topic during the Google Summer of Code 2009.

He did a huge amount of work but it's not fully ready for production yet.

See:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XZt2-cj502c

While his original topic was "Annotations for OSM" the whole technical approach should allow generic
editing in the end (like GPS editing, OSM editing, route editing, etc.).
The whole backend is based on what we call the "Marble GraphicsView".

http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Marble/GeoGraphicsViewOverview

This topic is definitely more complex than the coordinate topic.

>   It is also be very important to have an ability to save the routes
> into a file. When one has a number of saved routes, he/she may want to
> load them back into Marble and view them altogether (for this purpose
> they should be of different colours, like I've mentioned above).

>   I would like to know who and what thinks about such features and if
> there are some people who is working on their implementation now.

We'd like to have those and there has been some work on these issues already. But we still need to
put some work into it to get the Marble rolling ;-)

Best Regards,

Torsten