[Marble-devel] Map Layer Plugin for Marble

Andrew Manson g.real.ate at gmail.com
Sat Mar 21 15:36:37 CET 2009

Hey all,

I'm just sending the list a quick message to try and get a bit of
discussion going on the idea of applying a QGraphicsScene and a
QGraphicsView to marble. The reason that I'm looking into this now is
because I've been working on a simple Open Street Map rendering ( and
editing ) program that i reckon should be easily integrated into marble.

The original way that i was thinking of doing it was using the current
GeoData parser and other GeoData classes to import the OSM data. I gave
it a go but i ran into a few problems with this approach, eventually
coming to the conclusion that it would actually possibly require editing
the parsing system to correctly parse an OSM XML document. This just
made it more effort than it was worth. ( if you're interested or want to
make any comments on my views on the parsing system have a look at my
blog http://realate.blogspot.com/ )

So whats the alternative solution. My current implementation of my own
OSM data parser and Renderer is a pure QGraphicsScene and QGraphicsView
implementation. So i wondered, why can't i just draw this on top of
marble? Well i reckoned that it wouldn't be such a difficult problem to
draw my QGraphicsView that represents OSM data on top of the Marble
Widget, and if the QGraphicsView had a fully transparent background then
it would be a seamless integration. The only difficulty would be
integrating the movement of the overlaid layer and the marble widget and
then making the overlay system work for the spherical projections.

So what I'm proposing is that i work on this kind of system for a while,
if anyone has any suggestions please let me know because I'd like this
to be discussed fully. Also, to keep it all separate from the actual
marble code i will try and make this whole system work as a marble
plugin, hopefully also providing a simple way for third parties to come
an make a rendering layer on top of marble.

- Andrew.