[Marble-devel] make marblewidget kde QTONLY

Tue Dec 15 17:28:01 CET 2009

On Tuesday 15 Dec 2009 8:11:55 pm Torsten Rahn wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Tuesday 15 December 2009 14:57:40 Kishore wrote:
> > Is is possible to make marblewidget (just the library) always QTONLY?
>
> Yes. It should be possible already and in fact we intend to separate the
> library ( / Qt only version) fully in the future and move it into
>  kdesupport.

That would be the best way forward as i see it. Thanks! :)

> > The reason i ask is because, currently i use marblewidget in my qt
> >  application but however, distributions build marble with kde and
> > therefore creates a dependency of kde for any Qt-only application that
> > uses marblewidget.
> >
> :-/ That's not the way it's intended to be. We'd like to have packages
>
> provided so that Qt applications are able to link against the library
>  without a KDE dependency.
>
> > I did a quick grep of the sources and it seems that under the lib folder,
> >  the only places KDE dependency comes in is for default paths (runtime
> > and install paths).
>
> There are no dependencies on kde inside the library itself. It's just that
> default paths get adjusted when Marble is compiled with KDE support. If
>  that doesn't happen then other paths are chosen.

That is what i concluded from the sources. Evidently, the library was mostly
QTONLY. But for one other place where i think the save dialog was either using
the kde dialog or Qt one. This is also unnecessary in my opinion as Qt itself
calls the native dialog.

Much of the QTONLY usage was in the cmake build system...

I am not sure of the current state but for marblewidget to be fully
independent library, i think the application using should have full control of
certain aspects such as plugin management, map cache locations, map dgml files,
etc. All plugins don't make sense for all applications. If these are already
possible i would appreciate anyone anyone giving me direction where to look.

> You are aware that you can compile Marble with
>
> cmake -DQTONLY=ON ~/marble
>
> This will create a pure Qt-Only marble build for you.

Yes. I am aware and it is how i use and test my program and make QTONLY
packages of marble (and marblewidget). However this is still a problem for
wide distribution as QTONLY build will conflict with the KDE built packages of
the distribution. Hence, people are forced to use QTONLY marble application if
they also would like my application. On the other hand, if KDE marble and my
qt-only application could co exist... it would be much better.

Your solution of moving marblewidget to kdesupport sounds optimal.

> > Or is there any better way to work around the issue? It would not be
> > right for distributions to provide qtonly marble builds along side kde
> > builds as this would deprive the marble application users who would like
> > to have the KDE integration.
>
> Well, it would be feasible to have a "marbleqt" executable.

And it is what i do... but as i mentioned i would not like to deprive my users
of the KDE integration. I would not like to deprive myself of it!! :)

> Best Regards,
> Torsten

I appreciate each of your efforts in creating this wonderful application.
--
Cheers!
Kishore