[Marble-devel] make marblewidget kde QTONLY

Torsten Rahn tackat at t-online.de
Tue Dec 15 15:41:55 CET 2009

Hi,

On Tuesday 15 December 2009 14:57:40 Kishore wrote:
> Is is possible to make marblewidget (just the library) always QTONLY?

Yes. It should be possible already and in fact we intend to separate the
library ( / Qt only version) fully in the future and move it into kdesupport.

> The reason i ask is because, currently i use marblewidget in my qt
>  application but however, distributions build marble with kde and therefore
>  creates a dependency of kde for any Qt-only application that uses
>  marblewidget.

:-/ That's not the way it's intended to be. We'd like to have packages
provided so that Qt applications are able to link against the library  without
a KDE dependency.

> I did a quick grep of the sources and it seems that under the lib folder,
>  the only places KDE dependency comes in is for default paths (runtime and
>  install paths).

There are no dependencies on kde inside the library itself. It's just that
default paths get adjusted when Marble is compiled with KDE support. If that
doesn't happen then other paths are chosen.

You are aware that you can compile Marble with

cmake -DQTONLY=ON ~/marble

This will create a pure Qt-Only marble build for you.

> Or is there any better way to work around the issue? It would not be right
>  for distributions to provide qtonly marble builds along side kde builds as
>  this would deprive the marble application users who would like to have the
>  KDE integration.

Well, it would be feasible to have a "marbleqt" executable.

Best Regards,