[Marble-devel] Marble "Open Recent ..." Junior Job

Thibaut GRIDEL tgridel at free.fr
Mon Dec 7 19:31:54 CET 2009

Hi all,

* Torsten Rahn [2009-12-07 13:56]:
> Hi Glen,
>
> On Monday 07 December 2009 13:36:08 gkaukola at cs.ucr.edu wrote:
> > Hopefully nobody is working on the "Open recent" junior job?

I was working recently on tangentially related geodata feeding in a
consistent way.

> > Second, I have no idea how to tell if loading a file was successful or not
> > as the functions that do so return void.  Thus even though opening an
> > empty file fails, it still shows up in the recent list.  Any suggestions
> > on that?

How do you populate your recent list?? There isn't one in marble (yet)
so nothing to help you much.

I see basically 2 solutions atm:
- implement the dreamed bool Openfile(QString&)
  The most difficult part will be that the current openFile just stacks
  file loading to another thread because it's darn slowww.

- use the fileAdded signal from FileManager and export it nicely for
  MarbleModel to enjoy, and move from there.

> > Alternatively, would the QT style list of recently opened files be
> > acceptable?  From what I can tell that would be a seperated list of file
> > names at the bottom of the file menu.
>
> Hm, I'm not quite sure whether I understand your question correctly: Are you
> talking about the visual appearance as a list in the user interface?
> If so then I'd prefer to have the items appear in an "Open Recent" child menu
> of the file menu (just like in all other KDE applications).

My cents:
There are 2 apps: the KDE one and the Qt one, each would need a recent
list implementation as far as UI is concerned. The list and treatment
however would benefit from being "shared" or factored in common code.

As an unrelated note, the --enableFileView option while using marble
would provide the marble widget with a list of current files. It's
coming back from far, but starts being useable. Maybe having some common
code between its list and the recent list might be an option...

Thibaut