[Marble-devel] Thoughts on openstreetmap

Henry de Valence hdevalence at gmail.com
Wed Sep 17 00:46:21 CEST 2008

I was doing some thinking about the osm maps, and I thought of a couple issues
and how they might be solved.

Easy to fix (?):

0) It would be good to make the listview / navigation border adjustable so
that you have more space to see the items in the list view.

1) Can we disable the auto-centre on search-as-typed? It's really irritating
when you have zoomed in a long way and then suddenly you jump halfway around
the world while looking for a street...

More complicated:

a) Openstreetmap Namefinder search is not specific.
Maybe it's just boring North American cities with non-unique street names, but
looking for streets I often end up with results that are totally irrelevant
and nowhere near what I am looking for. Also I think it may be limited to 30
results.
Ideas:
* weight results based on distance from centre of the view AND the zoom level;
ie if you are zoomed in to seeing city blocks, it will not give results in a
different country, but if you have zoomed out to see the world it will not be
weighted at all; the amount of bias is proportional to the zoom level.
Unfortunately since the OSM search is actually done on the server I don't know
how this would be accomplished.

b) OSM search doesn't work on cached data.