[Marble-devel] Thoughts on openstreetmap

Torsten Rahn rahn at kde.org
Wed Sep 17 10:47:05 CEST 2008

On Wednesday 17 September 2008 00:46:21 Henry de Valence wrote:
> 0) It would be good to make the listview / navigation border adjustable so
> that you have more space to see the items in the list view.
> 1) Can we disable the auto-centre on search-as-typed? It's really
> irritating when you have zoomed in a long way and then suddenly you jump
> halfway around the world while looking for a street...

I'm currently thinking about moving the search lineedit into an own toolbar
(like a browser's search Url line). The listview would then likely become the
"completion" drop-down list.
I think that the autocentre should then be disabled.

> a) Openstreetmap Namefinder search is not specific.
> Maybe it's just boring North American cities with non-unique street names,
> but looking for streets I often end up with results that are totally
> irrelevant and nowhere near what I am looking for. Also I think it may be
> limited to 30 results.

Well I don't know about the interna of the OSM namefinder. Maybe Jens-Michael
can answer this?

> Ideas:
> * weight results based on distance from centre of the view AND the zoom
> level; ie if you are zoomed in to seeing city blocks, it will not give
> results in a different country, but if you have zoomed out to see the world
> it will not be weighted at all; the amount of bias is proportional to the
> zoom level. Unfortunately since the OSM search is actually done on the
> server I don't know how this would be accomplished.

Well we shouldn't filter out results completely, but at least the sorting
should be done based on where you look and based on the "result that will be
most likely of interest to the user".

> b) OSM search doesn't work on cached data.

You mean that you can't find names in the data that has been downloaded? I
guess that would have to wait until we have real vector support + routing cues
in place ....