[Marble-devel] Wikipedia Integration and Development in my SOC stuff

Shashank Singh shashank.personal at gmail.com
Tue Sep 16 16:13:17 CEST 2008

Hi everybody,
                 sorry for being MIA for such a  long duration , i was on
job hunt and now that  i have finally landed on a  job i am back to coding
for marble :)

> Hi,
>
> I've made up my mind on this one:
>
> Shashank,
>
> I think that if a user clicks on a location he wants to have information
> about
> the location in the first place (and is less likely to be intersted in
> other
> places around). Additionally the main article already does reference some
> of
> the locations returned by the geonames.org service quite often.
>
> The service provided by geonames creates a selection of possible places
> though.
>
> So here's my suggestion:
>
> 1.) Rename the current Wikipedia Tab into: "Place"
> The "Place" (formerly: "Wikipedia") tab should remain as is.

  ok i would try this :)

> 2.) Add a third tab in the Placemark info page called "Region"
> The "Region" tab should then return your implementation of the
> geonames.org
> service.
>
> It would be nice that if the "Place" query doesn't return a result it would
> be
> hidden automatically, so the "Region tab" would get promoted to become the
> second tab.
>
> Do you think that this sounds like a good idea?

yeah i like the idea :) i would at once delve back into code :)

> An additional thing I'd like to see added would be the addition of
> Wikitravel
> to Marble. Ideally we maybe would be able to add this

i was studying wikiravels , they dont have api or something so i think plain
and simple html request :)
i would implement it as plugin.

> - either as another plugin
> - or maybe as another tab in the info center
> - ... or [insert your idea here]
>
> Regards,
> And thanks for this nice idea and implementation
>
> Torsten

The plugins i developed panormaio / twitter also need some coding love, i
would correct them as soon i complete wikipedia work.

--
Regards:
Shashank Singh

P.S : Four Indian Cities Banglore / Delhi / Hyderabad / Chennai provide API
for Live traffic data and route calculation , i am thinking of implmenting
them as plugin when i am done with my exisitng work on wikipedia and plugins

links :
traffice status :
http://www.mapunity.in/apis/traffic/status.php?key=88466487b9588e1e0dc096dea59e044d&city=delhi

route calculation :