[Marble-devel] the World Clock plasmoid

Torsten Rahn rahn at kde.org
Thu Oct 9 14:14:19 CEST 2008

Hi,

> Well it's not even so much the actual performance that bothers me, it's
> that assembling a KML document, then having it parsed and turned into a set
> of geodata objects is wasteful as compared to just making the geodata
> objects myself.

Well, actually we should have a

MarbleWidget / MarbleMap::addFeature( const GeoDataFeature & feature )

method. Then you'd just instantiate a GeoDataPlacemark object with name,
latitude and longitude and be done. Internally this should be kept in a Model
seperate from the other placemarks and only be merged in the proxy-model later
on.

Patrick: any thoughts on this? :)

On Thursday 09 October 2008 13:54:21 Henry de Valence wrote:
> > is your most obvious friend! So I'd suggest that you just go for
> > KSystemTimeZone.
> Right now I get the timezones and their locations using
> KSystemTimeZones::zones() so this is not a problem; my point is that I
> cannot just include a KML file with the locations of all the timezones
> since the contents of return of KSystemTimeZones::zones() may vary.

Ok, but once you are able to take the KTimeZone objects from the KTimeZone map
you'd also be able to determine the name, latitude and longitude (as part of
the KTimeZone properties) and create a GeoDataPlacemark object that could then
get passed as specified above.