[Marble-devel] the World Clock plasmoid

Henry de Valence hdevalence at gmail.com
Thu Oct 9 13:54:21 CEST 2008

On Thu October 9 2008 4:14:05 am Torsten Rahn wrote:
> Now answering the second part of your question:
> > don't change, the locations specified do; does *every* system have the
> > proper TZ data for Pacific/Kiritimati ? Right now it uses all the zones
> > it gets with locations defined, and this could be different from system
> > to system.
>
> With your plasmoid being a KDE application
>
> http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-
> apidocs/kdecore/html/classKSystemTimeZone.html
>
> is your most obvious friend! So I'd suggest that you just go for
> KSystemTimeZone.

Right now I get the timezones and their locations using
KSystemTimeZones::zones() so this is not a problem; my point is that I cannot
just include a KML file with the locations of all the timezones since the
contents of return of KSystemTimeZones::zones() may vary.

> > I would rather use geodata objects because it's easier and there's no
> > mucking about with XML generation & parsing every time the mouse moves; I
> > is; adding one to the desktop takes about a second on my machine.
>
> That's something that will change once we put the render plugin loading and
> initialization into threads.
>
> Patrick: Do you think we'll be able to improve on that for Marble 0.7
> already?

Well it's not even so much the actual performance that bothers me, it's that
assembling a KML document, then having it parsed and turned into a set of
geodata objects is wasteful as compared to just making the geodata objects
myself.

> > If there's some other, better way to do this, I'd be interested to know
> > of it, but it seems as though doing it that way would be the nicest.
>
> No, I think you are on the right track.
>
> Torsten

The problem is that as far as I can see, you're not 'supposed' to do it this
way; for instance, PlaceMarkContainer is not a public class.

Henry