[Marble-devel] the World Clock plasmoid

Torsten Rahn rahn at kde.org
Thu Oct 9 10:14:05 CEST 2008

Now answering the second part of your question:

> don't change, the locations specified do; does *every* system have the
> proper TZ data for Pacific/Kiritimati ? Right now it uses all the zones it
> gets with locations defined, and this could be different from system to
> system.

With your plasmoid being a KDE application

http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-
apidocs/kdecore/html/classKSystemTimeZone.html

is your most obvious friend! So I'd suggest that you just go for
KSystemTimeZone.

> I would rather use geodata objects because it's easier and there's no
> mucking about with XML generation & parsing every time the mouse moves; I
> is; adding one to the desktop takes about a second on my machine.

That's something that will change once we put the render plugin loading and
initialization into threads.

Patrick: Do you think we'll be able to improve on that for Marble 0.7 already?

> If there's some other, better way to do this, I'd be interested to know of
> it, but it seems as though doing it that way would be the nicest.

No, I think you are on the right track.

Torsten