[Marble-devel] Busy and please give me a quick update

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Thu Sep 13 12:15:57 CEST 2007

Hi Carlos,

Concerning flat projection:

On Thursday 13 September 2007 07:19:03 Carlos Licea wrote:
> Hello everyone:
>     I've been busy (as usual when I'm in school) but it seems I've found
> some spare time two days from now so I wanted a small update in the
> status of the Flat projection and what's still needed just to be faster :)
> . What i did saw Torsten is that yo fixed the jump! Good!! i hated it!...
> but it seems some parts were broken in the process, so what has changed?
> and finally you asked me something about the GPS would you mind repeating
> it to me?.

There are (at least) three things that still need to get fixed for the flat
projection:

- In Topographic mode at low zoom Marble paints parts of asia white sometimes
- The GPS layer doesn't get painted in flat projection using the correct
projection (it still paints spherical. I guess you need to "port" the method
that returns back the position in AbstractLayer.
- The number of cities painted is much lower than for the spherical
projection. There is a variable in Marble which holds the maximum number of
cities displayed. I guess there is something calculated wrongly with regard
to that in the flat projection.

And it would be nice if you could analyze why the flat projection is so much
slower than the spherical projection. right now.
There is a "workaround" to speed this up a lot, but I guess there is also a
bug that might cause the current slow painting.

Torsten