[Marble-devel] Re : Qt based widget

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Thu Oct 25 10:17:06 CEST 2007

On Thursday 25 October 2007 07:17:08 Prashanth Udupa wrote:
> Hi,
> > and fixed those - so maybe he can comment on your mail.
> I just checked my code after updating marble from the SVN. It all works.
> But I still have to edit global.h and #define M_PI as 3.1415 :(.

Prashant: Could you send me a patch? Thanks in advance :-)

BTW: Your screenshot is missing the toolbar icons.

On Thursday 25 October 2007 08:59:28 moez gadri wrote:
> 1. Can I draw my own data instead of the data provided with Marble?

Without changing the code this is just possible with PlaceMarks. If you
checked out the 0.4-branch it's possible to load Google-Earth-KML Placemarks
into Marble. Just store some placemarks into a KML file and open the file in
Marble. Store a description for the placemarks and it will get shown in the
dialog once you click the place.

> like to draw just countries boundaries (which are more accurate) and
> differentiate the sea and the earth.

I'm not sure what you mean here. We already have country borders and coast
lines in Marble (although admittedly their resolution is very low right now).
Could you give more details about what you intend to do? :-)

> 2. Can I add interactive layers above
> the map? Layers like icons (markers in the sense of google earth),
> polylines, polygons, etc.

Polylines/Polygons do internally exist in Marble. However it's not possible to
deal with them interactively (i.e. there is no way to select them using the
mouse). We plan to support interactive polygons/polylines in the future
however.
Right now you can add your own borders though if you are able to provide your
additional country borders in SVG format. Displaying them will need to run
Marble's svg2pnt tool and you will need to adjust a few lines of code to be
able to display your data. However there are a few restrictions concerning
polylines right now (like a maximum resolution of arc minutes, the amount of
data shouldn't be of the magnitude of several million nodes, etc.).

If you are interested in going through those obstacles I can provide more
information about how you can add your own polylines.

Best Regards,

 Torsten Rahn

 Tel.: 0 21 61 - 46 43 - 192

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
Hohenzollernstr. 133, 41061 Mönchengladbach
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Jörg Folz