[Marble-devel] [Patch] fix marble data dirs on win32

Inge Wallin inge at lysator.liu.se
Sat Nov 3 19:57:48 CET 2007

On Saturday 03 November 2007 19:03, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> On Saturday 03 November 2007 18:49:52 Torsten Rahn wrote:
> > On Saturday 03 November 2007 17:40:06 Inge Wallin wrote:
> > And all this at the cost of trying to force the developer
> > - to download an additional 10 MB package
>
> Erm actually it's not so much the developer I worry about. Moreso the user.
> If we advertise Marble as a "lean" and "lightweight" alternative (which
> currently measures about 10MB vs. other map widgets or applications which
> use a lot more in the default configuration) then it's simply hideous if we
> expect users to download kdelibs and thereby increase the library amount by
> 100%  just to make use of < 1% of its API and functionality in the end.

That is a complete strawman and you know it, since the point was that there
would be a #ifdef for when kdelibs was already present.  Thus there will be
no difference at all when kdelibs is *not* present. Nobody is telling or
expecting anybody to download kdelibs just to compile marble.

In this particular instance I don't know what the exact feature that Christian
used, but I can imagine other instances when it would give new, attractive
features for no other cost than linking Marble against it.  And after all,
Marble *is* now a member of the KDE educational package.

	-Inge

--
Inge Wallin               | Thus spake the master programmer:               |
                          |      "After three days without programming,     |