[Marble-devel] [Patch] fix marble data dirs on win32

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Sat Nov 3 20:30:44 CET 2007

On Saturday 03 November 2007 19:57:48 Inge Wallin wrote:
> On Saturday 03 November 2007 19:03, Torsten Rahn wrote:
> > simply hideous if we expect users to download kdelibs and thereby
> > increase the library amount by 100%  just to make use of < 1% of its API
> > and functionality in the end.
> That is a complete strawman and you know it,

No, that's wrong. Using such rethorics won't make it more true.

> since the point was that there
> would be a #ifdef for when kdelibs was already present.

No. Imagine e.g. marble getting packaged for Debian. If Marble was compiled
against kdelibs for the distribution by default _everybody_ who would want to
make use of libmarble on a debian distribution would be forced to install
kdelibs as well.

I also do not want to deal with thoughts on whether a "kdelibs"ified libmarble
version will be binary compatible or not with the qt-only libmarble.

> Nobody is telling or
> expecting anybody to download kdelibs just to compile marble.

If the distribution only offers a libmarble that gets compiled against KDE
then everybody needs to. And if somebody wants to develop an application that
is just supposed to use the Qt-libmarble (lovely confusion!) then he needs to
compile that one and needs to go through all kinds of checks that his app is
using the "right" libmarble and won't interfere with the "wrong" one.

> In this particular instance I don't know what the exact feature that
> Christian used,

KStandardDirs. And this discussion has already cost me much more time than I
have spent on this technical issue.

> but I can imagine other instances when it would give new,
> attractive features for no other cost than linking Marble against it.

I can also think about lots of beautiful features that we'd gain if we linked
at the same time against Java, Mono and every possible toolkit and library on
this planet. However the cost/benefit ratio doesn't fit.

> And
> after all, Marble *is* now a member of the KDE educational package.

So you are trying to tell me that we need to link against KDE even for stuff
where it doesn't make sense?

And for KDE 4.1 I expect that "libmarble" will likely move e.g.
into "kdesupport".
So your point is?

 Torsten Rahn

 Tel.: 0 21 61 - 46 43 - 192

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
Hohenzollernstr. 133, 41061 Mönchengladbach
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Jörg Folz