[Marble-devel] [Patch] fix marble data dirs on win32

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Sat Nov 3 19:03:44 CET 2007

On Saturday 03 November 2007 18:49:52 Torsten Rahn wrote:
> On Saturday 03 November 2007 17:40:06 Inge Wallin wrote:
> And all this at the cost of trying to force the developer
> - to download an additional 10 MB package

Erm actually it's not so much the developer I worry about. Moreso the user. If
we advertise Marble as a "lean" and "lightweight" alternative (which
currently measures about 10MB vs. other map widgets or applications which use
a lot more in the default configuration) then it's simply hideous if we
expect users to download kdelibs and thereby increase the library amount by
100%  just to make use of < 1% of its API and functionality in the end.

That being said for apps like KWord it makes very much sense to make use of
kdelibs as there are clearly many aspects of a wordprocessor that can benefit
from the rich API that kdelibs offers.
For other apps like a frontend for a virtual PC application I'm inclined to
say that the additional overhead of kdelibs makes no sense when looking at
the cost-benefit ratio.

 Torsten Rahn

 Tel.: 0 21 61 - 46 43 - 192

credativ GmbH, HRB Mönchengladbach 12080
Hohenzollernstr. 133, 41061 Mönchengladbach
Geschäftsführung: Dr. Michael Meskes, Jörg Folz