[Marble-devel] features

Torsten Rahn torsten.rahn at credativ.de
Tue Aug 21 17:37:15 CEST 2007

On Tuesday 21 August 2007 17:31:09 Torsten Rahn wrote:
> On Tuesday 21 August 2007 16:56:22 Andrew Turner wrote:
> > Wouldn't KML support address this? KML would designate a geographic
> > location (point, line, polygon, etc.), description, title, and can
> > include a link to an external resource (such as an HTML representation
> > of the location, i.e. a blog post)
> That's indeed the idea. Tim Adler from Wikipedia actually made a similar
> suggestion already to associate the most prominent from each Wikipedia

That should of course read: " That's indeed the idea. Tim Adler from Wikipedia
actually made a similar suggestion already to associate the most prominent
IMAGE from each Wikipedia article with the location and display it as an
icon. The obvious idea was to solve this using the icon style support that
Murad is working on."

That's the reason why we are using KML as the primary file format. Because we
want to be able to for example simply generate a weather map by associating
each city with a proper sun/cloud/rainfall icon just by assigning an
appropriate style. The same for Wikipedia images, custom images, .... you
name it. All done using KML as a central "protocol". And of course not only
by reading a real file but also by letting the Widget receive a KML stream
from the parent application or by other applications.

Torsten