[kate] search add-on combo boxes placement

Kåre Särs kare.sars at iki.fi
Sat May 18 09:05:00 BST 2019

Hi,

On onsdag 15 maj 2019 kl. 22:19:50 EEST Mickael Bosch wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I use the search and replace add-on a lot and most of the time I put
> this tool view on the right side. the "find" and "replace" combo boxes
> are in the same lines as some other widgets and they have a narrow space
> (see the attached "small.png" picture.)
>
> I think that it would be nice to put these combo boxes on their own
> lines when the tool view is vertical (ie. width > height). This way, the
> text is not truncated.
>
> Attached is the patch used to implement this (move_cb.patch made with
> "git diff > move_cb.patch" ). I'm still not happy with the space left by
> the moved widgets between the "add tab" and "search" buttons but I
> prefer to gather some other ideas before going further.
>
> What do you think ?
>
> It is my first patch, do not hesitate to give me some advices.

Thanks for the patch!

I think it is a good step forward.

We usually use  https://phabricator.kde.org/ for patch reviews so it would be
great if you could post the patch there also to not loose the patch history in
the mailing-list.

We could make the buttons stretch to fill the gap and then remove the now
empty columns between the add-tab and search buttons where the combo-boxes and
labels where.

So basically we would move the labels and combo-boxes like now, but also move
the buttons left (and do it in reverse when switching back).
If you want to do that then I think it could be a bit easier to do if you put
the option-tool-buttons  into a horizontal layout that you then can move.

Thanks and looking forward to more patches :)
  /Kåre