D20958: New menu of syntax highlighting in the status bar

Nathaniel Graham noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri May 3 14:55:01 BST 2019

ngraham added a comment.

  In D20958#460130 <https://phabricator.kde.org/D20958#460130>, @nibags wrote:

  > > Single-clicking on an item in the list should select it and close the menu; double-click doesn't gain us anything here
  >
  > To me the double-click works correctly. It may also be necessary to add a special case for double-click to avoid problems.

  Double-click is not the correct UX here. Here is the rule for when something should be double-clickable:

  - Is the item selectable, and when selected, you can perform more than one action with it?
    - If so, make it double-clickable and expose those actions while it is selected.
    - If not, because the only action available is "activate this item", make it only single-clickable, even when using the systemwide double-click setting. This is for example why buttons are always single-clickable: if they were selectable, there would still be only one thing you can do with them ("activate").

  I need to finally put this in a HIG page...

REPOSITORY
  R39 KTextEditor