kate lsp client plugin

Kåre Särs kare.sars at iki.fi
Mon Jun 24 09:31:15 BST 2019

Hi,

On söndag 23 juni 2019 kl. 22:16:07 EEST Mark Nauwelaerts wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> A while ago, I started to develop an LSP client plugin for kate. In my
> enthusiasm, I did not notice until recently that there was another approach
> at doing so (as mentioned here;
> https://cullmann.io/posts/kate-lsp-client-progress/). Consequently, my
> plugin's development is not related to the existing lsp branch and is also
> a separate plugin (not integrated into project plugin).  In particular, the
> LSP protocol code is plain-and-simple (and home-grown) but nevertheless
> effective and the plugin is already in fairly good shape (even if say so
> myself ;-) ).  It provides a symbol outline (like the SymbolViewer plugin),
> completion and goto definition, all of the former having been tested with
> clangd and
> python-language-server.
>
> The plugin code can be found in a github mirror fork;
> https://github.com/mnauw/kate/tree/lspclient.  Although in reasonable shape,
> it is still a work-in-progress and quite volatile.  I hope and expect to
> work on it on a daily basis in the coming weeks, to polish and refine the
> existing code (for corner cases) and to add support for declaration,
> references, signatureHelp, diagnostics (and maybe some other low hanging
> fruit).  All going well, it should end up in good state by early September
> (crossing some fingers) ...  And when/if in good shape, I obviously hope it
> could head into Kate master :-)

For testing purposes it might be easier if the plugin could be compiled
standalone. The change in the CMake file is not that big and it would be nice
to not have to compile all of Kate to test the plugin :) You might get more
testers that way.

Hopefully there could be some synergies between the two LSP
implementations....

Looking forward to LSP support in Kate!

/Kåre