How to make the CTags plugin default disabled for only KDevelop, but not Kate?

Friedrich W. H. Kossebau kossebau at kde.org
Thu Jul 11 09:40:58 BST 2019

Hi Christoph,

Am Donnerstag, 11. Juli 2019, 07:44:56 CEST schrieb Christoph Cullmann:
> On 2019-07-10 23:03, Friedrich W. H. Kossebau wrote:
> > Opinions? Better ideas?
>
> actually I think the best approach is to have a whitelist of plugins one
> wants to
> load per default.

So move the default setting from the plugin to the host. Indeed also an
option.

Advantage:
* keeps control about default experience with app creators (or packagers),
  at time of snapshotting a version of the app
Disadvantage:
* keeps control about default experience with app creators (or packagers),
  at time of snapshotting a version of the app :)

IMHO (as someone who only since recently contributes to KDevelop, not part of
architects) in case of KDevelop many plugins do not expose themselves
directly in the UI from the very start (e.g. in the main menu or by
toolviews), but rather as options for certain service categories, like
adaptors to VCS systems or support for languages or build systems, and would
be only loaded/used on demand.
So those are not always around and obstacles if not used, but rather
available as option when needed.
And being extendable by 3rd-party by simply installing additional plugins
(e.g. for Python or PHP), without any further need to enable them once more
additionally, seems partially by design for a better experience ("I installed
foo, but it does not show up").

Having said this, possibly this hints that there are different categories of
plugins/extensions, and one still might want to curate plugins for some
categories app-side. At least known ones. Will think about this.

Cheers
Friedrich