How to make the CTags plugin default disabled for only KDevelop, but not Kate?

René J.V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Sat Jul 13 14:51:08 BST 2019

Friedrich,

don't you think you overstepped a bit here disabling the plugin by default for everyone while you are apparently the only one to be bothered by its presence, and there exists a simple hack to disable it via the environment?

I'll remind you that a (small) number of users have complained about lack of parser support for languages not related to C/C++, which is exactly the sort of situation for which I make CTags plugin work in KDevelop. The other use case where it's valuable is for very large projects: it is a heck of a lot faster (and cheaper) to run a source tree through CTags than to activate the parser on a project, and this becomes more relevant for projects where you only contribute to a small sub-portion (e.g. the lldb subproject of llvm). The CTags plugin gives a relatively cheap way to jump into barely charted parts of the project if and when you need it.
How many users are going to overlook its presence (in the settings/plugins list) now that it has been disabled by default?

R.