kate lsp client plugin

Mark Nauwelaerts mark.nauwelaerts at gmail.com
Mon Jul 1 20:31:57 BST 2019

On 01/07/19 20:57, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
> On 2019-07-01 19:57, Christoph Cullmann wrote:
>> Hi,

>>> Having the stuff configurable would already by great, JSON seems like a natural
>>> choice given it's use everywhere in LSP.
>>
>> I played a bit more with the plugin.
>>
>> The Python stuff seems to work fine for the normal things out of the box, nice!
>>
>> For C++, I think one issue is, that the baseDir of the project is used,
>> even for e.g. the CMake generated .kateproject files, were the
>> compilation database
>> will be in the directory of the .kateproject file but not the base dir.
>
> ;=) Here a patch to choose the right dir + a hack to make clangd use it for
> compile database.
>
> With this I get a fully working completion and co. for e.g. kate.git's CMake
> generated project.
>
> I assume that initializationOptions JSON stuff is what you talked about to
> make configurable, or?
>
> Greetings
> Christoph

I was indeed referring to initializationOptions, among others. Although it's
possible, I have to admit I had not considered it for clangd
'compilationDatabasePath' since I followed the instructions on
https://clang.llvm.org/extra/clangd/Installation.html and used a symlink (in
project/source root) to make clangd find the compilation db in the build
directory ;-)  That way, I can also use 1 instance for several (small
cross-referencing) projects with separate compilation db's.  And this one
instance will find them all by looking up into parent dirs.  And if it finds
one, then it is happy and things work well.  If not, it (indeed) tends to
degrade a lot quickly.

Other experiments and code investigation show that the "rootUri" is not
important for clangd (or python server) and almost not used.  So it does not
matter all that much to what that is set exactly either.

All in all, that makes the projectBase (or variant thereof) less important and
if possible, I would try to steer configuration to promote fewer (server)
instances, but to still allow separate ones (e.g. per project) with projectMap
override configuration. However, all that would then be (static) config file
based, so it's not (yet) clear how to fit in such clever dynamic (projectMap
lookup-based) server-specific hack ;-)

But I'll first try to allow for configuring the server (command line) without
needing to recompile ;-)

Regards,
Mark