[Kwintv] XRANDR

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Fri Mar 12 22:14:58 CET 2004

On Friday 12 March 2004 15:32, Dirk Ziegelmeier wrote:
> On Friday 12 March 2004 21:13, George Staikos wrote:
> > On Friday 12 March 2004 15:06, Dirk Ziegelmeier wrote:
> >   I was just about to respond.  I think that scaling should stay inside
> > kvideoio.  It's an integral part of half of I/O - the O part.  It will
> > almost certainly be required to scale video up or down when displaying it
> > in any scenario, so I think we should provide at least the basics inside
> > that library.  Linking another library is just overhead.  What I would
> > like to see is a way to easily add in new or external scaling methods as
> > needed.
>
> Currently scaling is located in the IN part - v4ldev*. I agree that it
> _may_ belong in the OUT part (it actually is when XVIDEO is used as

   Ah this is the stuff that tells v4l to produce a smaller image.  It's even
more important than output scaling.  The reason is that in some applications,
you need to grab at low res for performance reasons.  This is very apparent
for realtime display in some situations, and for instance, for recording.

> output). Just think there surely are different algorithms for scaling, so
> it should be plugin based. Maybe a basic algorithm could be implemented. Do
> you know a LGPL one I could copy?

   No, or I would have it in already. :-)  The problem is that there are so
many video formats too.  I actually had drawn up plans for a optimized
algorithm to deal with the m x n relationship of input formats, output
formats, etc.  I didn't get to implement it all though.  It's quite a bit of
work I think.

KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/