[Kwintv] Snapshots (no, not those kind...)

Andras Mantia amantia at freemail.hu
Thu Mar 11 10:29:22 CET 2004

Dirk Ziegelmeier wrote:

> On Tuesday 09 March 2004 00:04, George Staikos wrote:
>> I'd like to start making _release_ snapshots of qtvision.  It's getting
>> quite good thanks primarily to Dirk's great work.  I still don't have
>> much coding time, but I think we need to migrate the users out there to
>> qtvision
>> now, and I can help with some of the packaging.  Once we approach a 1.0
>> release, we can move into kdeextragear and completely wipe out the old
>> CVS
>> trees in kdenonbeta.  Maybe we'll even attract more developers! :-)  I
>> also want to split kvideoio out and put it in kdemultimedia when we can
>> commit
>> to API stability.  The big question is, does everyone agree that we
>> should change the executable name and strings in CVS to KWinTV now? I
>> don't think
>> the old code is worth anything anymore in comparison.  The only feature
>> we lack is recording, and the old recording code wasn't all that special
>> anyway.   The second question is, does anyone volunteer to do it? :)
>
> I think we are nearly ready for beta releases. My open points before a
> release are:
>
> 1) Rename to kdetv. I thought that was decided a some weeks ago, and we
> should of course do it before releasing to avoid confusion

If the name is kdetv, I also support the renaming as soon as the first
public beta is released and the code is moved to extragear.

> 1) Video mode changing for fullscreen overlay can be done, XRANDR is a
> clean way to do it, but I don't think it is worth the effort. We should
> rather find the cause of the slowdowns for grab+display mode. Usually the
> PC is idle when you watch TV _fullscreen_.
You have a point here, but it means that you must constantly switch between
overlay and grab&display. Think about what I said:
- you work, but the TV app is running with a small window. You want it to
use as little CPU as possible, so you use overlay
- you notice somethin in the TV and want to watch it fullscreen. If overlay
doesn't work correctly in fullscreen mode, you have to switch to
non-overlay go fullscreen, and when you go back to the little window, turn
on overlay again.

> 3) RMB channel editing from the sidebar is a good idea. I was also annoyed
> by it. Is it enough to have the channel editor available as a seperate top
> level window (action)?
The double click on the channel in the list is very useful now. :-) Thank
you! My proposal was to have the same dialog available also in the RMB
menu. I'd be useful in TV mode.

> 4) Should we resolve symlinks for device detection or should I just
> remove /dev/video from the search list since they are always symlinks?
As you may have noticed, I implemented this. I think visually it's nicer to
see /dev/video instead of /dev/video0 or whatever.

> 5) Always on top: I'll have a look at it again.

Tried with your latest fixes: same behavior as previously, the Always on top
state is forgotten.

Andras