[Kwintv] Snapshots (no, not those kind...)

Dirk Ziegelmeier dziegel at gmx.de
Thu Mar 11 20:20:22 CET 2004

On Thursday 11 March 2004 10:29, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > 1) Video mode changing for fullscreen overlay can be done, XRANDR is a
> > clean way to do it, but I don't think it is worth the effort. We should
> > rather find the cause of the slowdowns for grab+display mode. Usually the
> > PC is idle when you watch TV _fullscreen_.
>
> You have a point here, but it means that you must constantly switch between
> overlay and grab&display. Think about what I said:
> - you work, but the TV app is running with a small window. You want it to
> use as little CPU as possible, so you use overlay
> - you notice somethin in the TV and want to watch it fullscreen. If overlay
> doesn't work correctly in fullscreen mode, you have to switch to
> non-overlay go fullscreen, and when you go back to the little window, turn
> on overlay again.
Agreed. Maybe I'll have a look at it sometime later.

> > 3) RMB channel editing from the sidebar is a good idea. I was also
> > annoyed by it. Is it enough to have the channel editor available as a
> > seperate top level window (action)?
>
> The double click on the channel in the list is very useful now. :-) Thank
> you! My proposal was to have the same dialog available also in the RMB
> menu. I'd be useful in TV mode.
I consider the RMB TV screen menu too cluttered already. I'd like to remove
everything above "Show Menubar" + Channel Wizard + Configure Shortcuts. Since
editing channel settings should usually only be necessary in the first few
days after scanning, IMO it's not necessary to add the channel properties
dialog to the menu.

> > 4) Should we resolve symlinks for device detection or should I just
> > remove /dev/video from the search list since they are always symlinks?
>
> As you may have noticed, I implemented this. I think visually it's nicer to
> see /dev/video instead of /dev/video0 or whatever.
I did after I wrote the message. It's OK for me.

> > 5) Always on top: I'll have a look at it again.
>
> Tried with your latest fixes: same behavior as previously, the Always on
> top state is forgotten.
Since I don't experience trouble with it, can you take a look at it? It's in
mainwindow.cpp, look for checkStayOnTop(). Maybe you can move it around a bit
and see what happens.