[Kwintv] Snapshots (no, not those kind...)

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Wed Mar 10 20:13:16 CET 2004

On Wednesday 10 March 2004 01:59, Andras Mantia wrote:
> >   Keep in mind that we're making snapshots toward hopefully our first
> > "beta" release soon.
>
> Yes, I know, I just wanted to point out, that it's a good idea to let the
> users keep their old kwintv in parallel to the new one while it's in the
> beta state.

   I believe this during development,  but I think qtvision is stable and
functional enough now to replace it.

> >    Overlay is hardly a critical feature anymore.  CPUs are powerful and
> > the ideal output moe will become grab+display with deinterlacing in the
> > future anyway.  It sucks for people who don't have the hardware for it,
> > but eventually they will and it's more important to be prepared for that
> > case first IMHO.
>
> I believe an Athlon XP 2000+ with 768MB DDR memory on a shiny new Via KT600
> base motherboard should be powerful enough for garb & display, yet I see
> frame skips in QtVision, even when the CPU is not fully used. This is why
> overlay is still important. Not talking about the fact when you run the TV
> in a little window, and work meantime (compile in my case). The compiler
> should get as much CPU power as possible.

  You must have something else wrong.  I ran with grab+display at 1280x1024x32
on a much slower machine without problems.

> > > 6. I have a device for /dev/video and /dev/video0. The first is a
> > > symlink to the later. I think symlinks should be resolved prior to
> > > detecting the devices, as they point to the same device.
> >
> >    Very true, TODO file again.
>
> OK.

   Thanks for the fix :)

> > > 7. one should be able to disable devices. Now I have an NVIDIA Video
> > > Interface Port - XVideo port 111 device and if I switch to it by
> > > mistake, I get a blue screen, but all my further display is broken (the
> > > colors in the TV are changed, I believe the RGB order becomes BGR os
> > > something similar)
> >
> >    I'm not sure I agree with this.  For one, there is a bug elsewhere
> > that you want to mask. For two, this is extra code and UI for little
> > gain.
>
> Well, than the bug should be found & fixed, as it's not good that I have to
> restart X if by mistake I switch to that port.

   I think the bug is in XFree...  not sure though.

> > > 9. Might be a KWin bug from KDE 3.2+: switch to TV mode, make it Always
> > > On Top, switch to Full Screen and back to TV mode. The Always On Top
> > > setting is lost.
> >
> >   Probably kwin.  Try the same with konqueror and see if that shows the
> > same behaviour.
>
> Konqueror, tvtime behaves correctly. I saw the bug with the old kwintv, but
> I don't see it now (to be honest, my old kwintv is compiled against KDE 3.1
> at this moment).

  The old kwintv was very hacky with respect to this.

KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/