[Kwintv] Snapshots (no, not those kind...)

Andras Mantia amantia at freemail.hu
Wed Mar 10 07:59:55 CET 2004

On Wednesday 10 March 2004 03:09, George Staikos wrote:
> On Tuesday 09 March 2004 18:19, Andras Mantia wrote:
> > George Staikos wrote:
> > > stability.  The big question is, does everyone agree that we should
> > > change the executable name and strings in CVS to KWinTV now?
> >
> > Depending who counts from the "everyone". :-)
>
>   You're welcome to provide feedback of course.  Everyone is.

Sure, I was just joking.

>   Keep in mind that we're making snapshots toward hopefully our first
> "beta" release soon.

Yes, I know, I just wanted to point out, that it's a good idea to let the
users keep their old kwintv in parallel to the new one while it's in the beta
state.

>    Overlay is hardly a critical feature anymore.  CPUs are powerful and the
> ideal output moe will become grab+display with deinterlacing in the future
> anyway.  It sucks for people who don't have the hardware for it, but
> eventually they will and it's more important to be prepared for that case
> first IMHO.

I believe an Athlon XP 2000+ with 768MB DDR memory on a shiny new Via KT600
base motherboard should be powerful enough for garb & display, yet I see
frame skips in QtVision, even when the CPU is not fully used. This is why
overlay is still important. Not talking about the fact when you run the TV in
a little window, and work meantime (compile in my case). The compiler should
get as much CPU power as possible.

>   I agree, great feature, but it's possible that it will be delayed past
> version 1.0 even.  I'm starting to get concerned about making a functional
> 1.0 release and getting the old kwintv replaced in distros.

Well, this is less of a showstopper, the 1.0 can came out without, just it
shouldn't be forgotten.

> > 3. Direct access to the channel properties from the RMB menu of the main
> > window or RMB of the channel list. Now you must do: RMB->Configure
> > qtvision->Channels->select the channel->Edit.
> >
> > 4. Easier reordering of channels in the channel list (not in Configure
> > qtvision). Possible by D&D.
>
>   Please add these to the TODO file (or send patches :)).
Now I'll add to the TODO, patches may come after (I'm buried deeply in Quanta
at the moment).

> > And last, some bugs (but not showstoppers, just simple bugs):
> >
> > 5. transparent teletext is not working with v4l / overlay mode.
>
>    Correct, it cannot work.
Than the button should be disabled. ;-) I know, a patch...

> > 6. I have a device for /dev/video and /dev/video0. The first is a symlink
> > to the later. I think symlinks should be resolved prior to detecting the
> > devices, as they point to the same device.
>
>    Very true, TODO file again.
OK.

> > 7. one should be able to disable devices. Now I have an NVIDIA Video
> > Interface Port - XVideo port 111 device and if I switch to it by mistake,
> > I get a blue screen, but all my further display is broken (the colors in
> > the TV are changed, I believe the RGB order becomes BGR os something
> > similar)
>
>    I'm not sure I agree with this.  For one, there is a bug elsewhere that
> you want to mask. For two, this is extra code and UI for little gain.

Well, than the bug should be found & fixed, as it's not good that I have to
restart X if by mistake I switch to that port.

> > 9. Might be a KWin bug from KDE 3.2+: switch to TV mode, make it Always
> > On Top, switch to Full Screen and back to TV mode. The Always On Top
> > setting is lost.
>
>   Probably kwin.  Try the same with konqueror and see if that shows the
> same behaviour.

Konqueror, tvtime behaves correctly. I saw the bug with the old kwintv, but I
don't see it now (to be honest, my old kwintv is compiled against KDE 3.1 at
this moment).

Andras

- --