[Kwintv] Re: OpenGL view mode and a new threading solution

Dirk Ziegelmeier dziegel at gmx.de
Tue Jun 8 22:23:16 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 08 June 2004 19:17, Koos Vriezen wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 05, 2004 at 05:02:29PM +0200, Koos Vriezen wrote:
> Ok, found it. About 7% CPU usage in the original window size on a GeForce
> FX 5200. It increases if I make the window bigger (btw, I could find the
> option to resize to PAL..) It's about two times as much compared with XShm.
> Only crash I saw so far was when changing the v4l driver option to GL (like
> you told me).
> If somebody knows I nice option for this (already have "RenderAccel" "On")
I've managed to get it more stable (now that I know the problems of the ATI
driver, I can track down bugs easier and I have working versions to compare
with...). But my X server often freezes when I change the video plugins
(Linux is OK, but I need to reboot). I'll leave the GL mode in this state. It
doesn't seem to have much use, NVIDIA is slower (Koos, Andras), ATI is very
fast but unstable. So noone will use it...

"Resize to PAL": kdetv never had such an option. You may be confusing it with
some other program.

> One strange thing, when I was looking for these v4l option I opened and
> close the picture settings dialog and now my colors are wrong. Now TV is
> more or less black and white (even so with xawtv). This was before I
> changed to openGL and, strangely, the openGL output has the colors
> correct...restarting X...ah, colors are correct again. Hmm saw this before
> once, when I was playing with mplayer's color settings..
There were other NVIDIA users that reported this, too. Sounds like an XVIDEO
extension bug. I never saw this with my Open-Source Radeon drivers.