[Kwintv] QtVision and video players

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Thu Jan 8 15:52:11 CET 2004

On Thursday 08 January 2004 09:46, Mark Goldstein wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm using SuSE 9.0 / KDE 3.1.4 / NVidea GeForce2 with
> XFree driver.
>
> I've recently installed qtvision (from packman2linux,
> version that is marked as "cvs20031217").
> It generally works OK, but I've noticed that when I'm
> trying to playback some "avi/wmv/mpeg" by Mplayer,
> Xine or other in parallel to qtvision, I can only see
> in a player window an empty frame (+ hear the audio,
> if any). If I close qtvision, everything is OK. Also
> if I run kwintv from SuSE distribution, the video
> viewers work OK.
>
> Did somebody experience this issue?

  This is because Xv implementations generally only support one stream at a
time.  Your video card/driver prevents two streams from playing
simultaneously with Xv.  This of course rules out the use of the Xv input
driver completely if you want to use both, and also rules out the Xv output
method of the V4L input driver.  I would say that we should try to detect if
Xv is in use an fallback to another method, but it's more likely that the tv
tuner will be running previously and for longer periods than the video
player.

KDE Developer				http://www.kde.org/