[Kwintv] QtVision and video players

Mark Goldstein goldstein_m at yahoo.com
Sun Jan 11 08:01:55 CET 2004

George,

Thanks for explanation. I'll need to read something
about v4l, xv and so on...

One additional question: I can run 2 different video
players (2 instances of the same player, or 2
different players) and they play the video back in 2
separate windows without blocking each other. Does it
mean QtVision uses some different mechanism, that
causes blocking?

Regards,
Mark

--- George Staikos <staikos at kde.org> wrote:
> On Thursday 08 January 2004 09:46, Mark Goldstein
> wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I'm using SuSE 9.0 / KDE 3.1.4 / NVidea GeForce2
> with
> > XFree driver.
> >
> > I've recently installed qtvision (from
> packman2linux,
> > version that is marked as "cvs20031217").
> > It generally works OK, but I've noticed that when
> I'm
> > trying to playback some "avi/wmv/mpeg" by Mplayer,
> > Xine or other in parallel to qtvision, I can only
> see
> > in a player window an empty frame (+ hear the
> audio,
> > if any). If I close qtvision, everything is OK.
> Also
> > if I run kwintv from SuSE distribution, the video
> > viewers work OK.
> >
> > Did somebody experience this issue?
>
>   This is because Xv implementations generally only
> support one stream at a
> time.  Your video card/driver prevents two streams
> from playing
> simultaneously with Xv.  This of course rules out
> the use of the Xv input
> driver completely if you want to use both, and also
> rules out the Xv output
> method of the V4L input driver.  I would say that we
> should try to detect if
> Xv is in use an fallback to another method, but it's
> more likely that the tv
> tuner will be running previously and for longer
> periods than the video
> player.
>
> --
> George Staikos