[Kwintv] kv4lsetup

Zsolt Rizsanyi rizsanyi at users.sourceforge.net
Wed Apr 14 16:59:08 CEST 2004

On Wednesday 14 April 2004 16.10, you wrote:
> There are no changes except for the name change and some config.h
> strings. You could change it to run v4l-conf without problems. But is it
> REALLY THAT bad to have kv4lsetup in kde3/bin??? Are the Debian folks
> that strict?

What do you mean by kde3/bin ? On debian kde programs are installed
in /usr/bin.

And no. Debian is not that strict. But it mandates that every binary in the
path (/bin /usr/bin /sbin and /usr/sbin) have a man page.
So I either write a man page or move kv4lsetup to different place.
Then I remembered, that FHS (which is also mandatory in debian) has the
next section:

--------------------------
       4.4  /usr/lib : Libraries for programming and packages

       /usr/lib includes object files, libraries, and internal binaries
that
       are not intended to be executed directly by users or shell scripts.
--------------------------

So that's why I wanted to move kv4lsetup in /usr/lib.
(If I change bin_PROGRAMS to libexec_PROGRAMS in the kv4lsetup makefile,
then it will install it to /usr/lib/kdetv/kv4lsetup)

Until now I could not write the man page, so I was for moving kv4lsetup.

Now I'm contemplating 3 options:
1) move kv4lsetup to /usr/lib/kdetv/
2) copy the man page of v4l-conf as kv4lsetup.1 and provide that with kdetv
3) depend on v4l-conf (from xawtv)

> BTW: I consider the xawtv dependency much more annoying than the wrong
> kv4lsetup location...

The fact is that on debian v4l-conf is in separate package from xawtv and
it only contains v4l-conf itself and the man page :)
So I would not depend on xawtv.

I prefer the 3rd option, but I'm open for suggestions.

Regards,
Zsolt