[Kwintv] Package name - kwintv or qtvision?

Dan Armak danarmak at gentoo.org
Fri Jul 18 19:28:46 CEST 2003

On Friday 18 July 2003 17:55, George Staikos wrote:
> On Friday 18 July 2003 06:24, Dan Armak wrote:
> > I was just updating my live cvs ebuild for kwintv[1], and I wondered
> > whether I should in fact change the package name to qtvision. What do you
> > call it yourselves? When you release tarballs, what will be their
> > filenames?
> >
> > When replying, please cc me as I'm not on the list.
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > [1] http://dev.gentoo.org/~danarmak/kde-cvs.html - live kde cvs ebuilds
> > for Gentoo, i.e. ebuilds that actually run cvs to fetch the latest
> > sources at the unpacking stage.
>
>   Please do not package it yet.  It's not stable.  (At least
> kdenonbeta/kwintv3/ is not.  kdenonbeta/kwintv can be coaxed into working
> still I think.  That one is definitely called kwintv.)

Just to make sure there's no misunderstanding here, I'm not packaging it in
the normal way, I am rather making a live cvs ebuild for it. It's not going
into portage (the main collection of packages users see), but must be
downloaded together with my other kde cvs ebuilds from my website.

These ebuilds are intended for developer use and for people willing to test
non-stable cvs stuff, not for ordinary end users. In other words, for
scratching a personal itch :-) I've also been told by some kde.org devs they
find these ebuilds very useful, as well as other people who just like running
cvs (like me).

As my page about them says: "please understand that these ebuilds are only
shortcuts to compiling KDE from cvs. Don't use them if you wouldn't otherwise
do this manually. Because bugreports about bugs in the cvs will inevitably
make their way to the KDE devs, you should realize you're on the same footing
as anyone using the cvs sources directly, and not in the position of one
whose distribution offered packages that weren't working."

kwintv not being stable isn't a reason for me not to make an ebuild for it -
I'm used to having ebuilds for unstable/broken stuff (eg kopete). Someone on
a gentoo system who wants to install it (a kwintv developer or potential
developer, say, or someone who wants to check the state kwintv is in) would
appreciate the ebuild. Even if no kwintv devs actually run gentoo, I'd add
the ebuild just for completeness' sake (I want to have all of extragear and
whatever is actively developed in nonbeta).

That said if you really want me to remove [1] the ebuild I'll do so; I just
wanted to make sure we understand each other fully.

[1] I'm not adding the ebuild, it has existed for a long time now. I was
merely updating it.

--
Dan Armak
Gentoo Linux developer (KDE)