[Kwintv] questions about xf86vm & qtvision

George Staikos kwintv@mail.kde.org
Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:09:39 -0400

On Monday September 30 2002 03:24, Alexandre Aufrere wrote:
> >    The current plugin uses Xv for input and assumes that you have Xv
> > scaling support in your video card.  Apparently you do not.  If you have
> > an ATI, Matrox or NVidia card, you might need to get a special driver for
> > this. Otherwise we probably will not do video mode switching for a while.
>
> i see. that's a bad thing. i have an ATI Mach64 and i use GATOS drivers,
> the only ones providing Xv for that video card for now.. and apparently not
> full Xv support.

   Hm It may or may not support it.  Time for a new video card? :)

> > We do need to add support to the plugins so they can determine the
> > maximum scalable size and behave accordingly, but this is not a high
> > priority item either.  I expect the functionality which you are looking
> > for will be provided directly by the v4l plugin when it is available.
>
> Hmm ok, and have you an idea when that v4l plugin will be available ?
> There are days when i really wonder why XFree is such a complex system...
> good luck to you !

   Moritz is working on it.  I'm not sure what the status is yet.  V4l is not
a part of XFree86 though.  It's for Linux systems only.  Which reminds me, if
anyone out there wants to make a direct plugin for another OS like FreeBSD or
Solaris, please feel free! :-)