[Kwintv] Comments on latest qtvision

Alexandre Aufrere kwintv@mail.kde.org
Thu, 24 Oct 2002 09:22:14 +0200

Le Mercredi 23 Octobre 2002 23:14, George Staikos a écrit :
> On October 23, 2002 15:45, Michael Kedl wrote:
> > I just grabbed the latest version and it compiled first try, certainly a
> > plus :-)
> >
> > Some comments:
> > 1) in xv mode, it scales down, but not above 1x.  I think this may be
> > related to my X driver; xawtv behaves the same.  But just thought I'd
> > mention it.
>
>    This is your X server for sure.  What hardware and drivers are you
> using? (Video, capture, etc - and proprietary drivers?  xf86 version?)

btw, i'd like to report that RH has bugs filled about this, and are apparently
not very interested in fixing the problem, they just beg someone to give them
a patch. So i'm afraid that at least on RH 7.3 and 8.0, using any ATI card
(it has been confirmed with these cards but maybe it's the same with other
ones), the abovely described behaviour is the standard and "normal" one.
it'd be a good idea to have more reports about this on Mandrake, SuSE and
Debian at least.

> > 2) in v4l mode, it scales up/down fine including fullscreen
>
>     Hm interesting.  That seems to imply that Xv scaling works fine.
>
> > 3) in f4l mode, when scaled down below 1x, it "rips" during motion and
> > fixes itself when things quit moving;  it kind of looks like "super"
> > interlacing, odd
>
>   Very odd.  :)  I don't see this, but it sounds like fun! hehehe
>
> > 4) in v4l mode, the menus and other things appear below the video, hard
> > to read them :-)  is this only for me?  or do other people see this?
>
>    Oh now I understand.  You have old code.  It is triggering the video
> overlay for V4L.  I had that enabled but have since disabled it just
> because v4l grab+display works better now (as you have seen).

Considering this, i just wanted to report that v4l now works fine for me
(bttv, v4l, xf86-4.2.0, rh 7.3, ati rage128, SECAM), but there is an area 2
or 3 cm large to the right of the picture that is simply green (!). No such
thing was happening with the old kwintv.

Good job !
btw, if you need, you can count me for the French translation :-)