[Kwintv] configure problem

George Staikos kwintv@mail.kde.org
Wed, 23 Oct 2002 11:16:22 -0400

On October 23, 2002 11:11, Robert Kaiser wrote:
> >    So how did the plugin work for you?  If you don't have an Xv backend
> > scaler then you still probably won't get video until I finish up a few
> > things in the VideoStream class.  I'm getting close to having that
> > working though.
>
> Well, I have an NVidia card with XV support, don't know if this provides
> what you call "backend scaler" here (I simply don't really understand
> those things).
> The plugin seems to work quite nicely though. I noticed it gets very
> slow when the qtvision configuration window is open, but else it good to
> work with.
> (Take care, I have a very fast processor and a good graphics card, so I
> don't see as many speed problems as others might see)

   I think this is a problem with Qt events.  I will be looking into the
causes for it as soon as possible.  I notice it too even though I also have a
very fast processor.

> Anyway, this is really nice work!
>
> I still don't understand why XFree86 (4.2.0) doesn't load the v4l module
> though. The old version, from SuSE 8.0 (gcc-2.95-based), did work quite
> good with qtvision, the new one from SuSE 8.1 (gcc-3.2-based) doesn't
> show any errors in the log as well, but it's not shown in xvinfo or
> xdpyinfo...

   Does the bttv module not get loaded and initialised before you start X
maybe?

> I tried to watch TV using xawtv in the last two weeks, but it's really
> much nicer to have a working qtvision now again ;-)

   Great :)  I have switch over to using the v4l module too now.  The Xv
module seems to work quite well so I think it's more important to focus on
the v4l one.  I'll be interested to see how some of the other display methods
work too.  As I mentioned, it's hardcoded to use Xv scaling right now.
However I am working on many different output methods, which will be nice for
those who wish to have multiple video streams running simultaneously.