[Kwintv] V4L plugin status

George Staikos kwintv@mail.kde.org
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 13:46:41 -0400

On Tuesday October 22 2002 13:13, Stefan Hellwig wrote:
> > Test reports (keeping in mind that the code is incomplete) are
> > appreciated.
>
> Okay, I tested it somewhat but it wasn't performing well so I switched back
> to Xv. The biggest problem is that QtVision seems to eat up a lot of CPU
> time when I activate V4L instead of Xv (channel switching is very slow).
> There are also interlacing problems, and audio/video is not in sync, the
> picture is "chasing" the sound, if you know what I mean.

   Yes it definitely will.  I haven't really done any optimisation.  I guess
you don't have overlay support working though.  What does xdpyinfo say for
your computer?  Also, can you look at the qtvision console output and see if
you notice anything about finding an RGB??? display?

> I tested it on KDE 3.1 Beta 2 (compiled from CVS) using Qt 3.1 Beta 1 (also
> out of CVS, same time as KDE). I didn't do a "fresh compile" of QtVision,
> though, meaning that I just updated to latest CVS and then did a "make
> install" again in my build dir (no make distclean, configure...).

    You really should run Makefile.cvs, configure, clean, etc for this.  Too
many big things have changed.  It's very likely that you are even running
with a slower than possible input or output method.