[Kwintv] V4L plugin status

George Staikos kwintv@mail.kde.org
Tue, 22 Oct 2002 20:48:55 -0400

On October 22, 2002 13:46, George Staikos wrote:
> On Tuesday October 22 2002 13:13, Stefan Hellwig wrote:
> > > Test reports (keeping in mind that the code is incomplete) are
> > > appreciated.
> >
> > Okay, I tested it somewhat but it wasn't performing well so I switched
> > back to Xv. The biggest problem is that QtVision seems to eat up a lot of
> > CPU time when I activate V4L instead of Xv (channel switching is very
> > slow). There are also interlacing problems, and audio/video is not in
> > sync, the picture is "chasing" the sound, if you know what I mean.
>
>    Yes it definitely will.  I haven't really done any optimisation.  I
> guess you don't have overlay support working though.  What does xdpyinfo
> say for your computer?  Also, can you look at the qtvision console output
> and see if you notice anything about finding an RGB??? display?

    Actually FYI, I had some severe problems in the code which I optimised
away tonight.  CPU usage dropped from 60+% to 10% for the grabber thread on
my machine.  I also disabled overlay by default for now.  It needs more work
to be really useful.  Once I get some image conversion code in place I'll add
support for selecting the output method.